by Robert Gardner, Think Green Correspondent
Montgomery County Community College’s new Environmental Club announces the following group activities:
- Thursday, Nov. 8, 6:30-8:30 p.m. — Presentation on “Food Politics” by Marion Nestle at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia
Join Marion Nestle, internationally known consumer activist, nutritionist, and award-winning author, as she discusses the increasingly alarming way food processing, marketing, and sales are politicized in the U.S. The food industry promotes a plethora of food products, yet having access to an overabundance of processed foods can lead to overeating and other health problems. Nestle will show food politics in action and ask whether our current food system can be restructured in a way that is not harmful to humans and our planet.
* Note — EC will be meeting at Suburban Station and walking as a group to the Academy. Click here for directions. Registration is required, and space is filling up fast. RSVP to EC President Sara Calcinore as soon as possible so she can register the group.
- Friday, Nov. 9 — (Rescheduled) Pennypack Farm Trip
The Environmental Club will meet at the Central Campus at 12:30 p.m. to carpool to the farm, which is approximately 20 minutes from campus. A tour of the farm will be first; then participants will get hands on experience volunteering at a community farm!
To learn more about Pennypack Farm, click here: http://www.pennypackfarm.org/
- Wednesday, Nov. 14, 12:30 p.m. — Meeting and Presentation
Recycling Manager of Montgomery County, Chris Kaasmann, will speak to the Club during its regularly-scheduled meeting at 12:30 p.m. in Science Center Room 308.
- Thursday, Nov. 15 — America Recycles Day
Stay tuned for details!