by Diane VanDyke
Montgomery County Community College continues to lead the way in sustainability, alternative energy and greener practices by offering more training programs and educational courses in these areas.
Two programs—Drinking Water Operator Certification and Wastewater Operator Certification—are designed to certify new operators and provide additional continuing education units (CEUs) for certified operators who need to maintain their certifications.
These programs, approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, also may be applied toward operators’ experience requirements. New students are required to take the second portion to complete the full 180-hour program. Certified operators who need the CEUs can select the components of the program they need for their certification requirements.
The Wastewater Operator Certification Program is also available online for students who are not able to attend courses onsite. For more information on these programs, call 610-718-1861.
In addition to the certification programs, the College offers an array of non-credit courses in environmental friendly practices at the West Campus in Pottstown:
- Easy Steps to a Healthy, Green Home shows consumers how to make non-toxic cleaners and select safer materials for their homes;
- Ah! Air! teaches consumers how to eliminate indoor pollutants and improve air quality;
- Go Green! Compost! teaches reducing, reusing and recycling green waste from the yard by composting;
- Renewable Energy: Wind Turbine reveals the potential and feasibility of using renewable wind energy to lower the cost and reduce the consumption of energy;
- Residential Weatherization helps homeowners and technicians learn how to assess a building’s energy efficiency and learn about the theory of weatherization;
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle—Create Mosaics! shows students how to reuse discarded items to make paper and mosaic creations;
- Introduction to Green Entrepreneurship explores the challenges and goals of creating a start-up venture in environmental science or technology;
- Sustainable Landscaping demonstrates the benefits of sustainable landscaping and its positive impact on home value; and
- Ecotourism, a 45-hours in-depth course, introduces the concept of ecotourism and its importance to the tourism industry.